Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Know your customer!

Ok so I had this experience today that has been eating at me, and I need to get it off my chest.

Don't "assume" you know who you are talking too, and don't "assume" they don't know what they are talking about, especially your customers. I was so put off by a vendor today, that it will be long while before I go back to them. This was a company that sells products to polymer clay folk like me. And I have dealt with them off and on for a number of years now. I do have to admit that I have not spoken to this representative very often, but I have.

I was asking questions about a product they carry. The person I was speaking too made a number of comments about how this was a product for those Polymer clay artists who do "production" I told them I knew that, and went on to ask some more questions, again there was a comment about "production work" I told them I KNEW that! And I know what "production work" is. I tried to ask some more questions, but again the person I was speaking to, was "assuming" I didn't know what I was talking about, didn't listen and I gave up!!

I know I am not well known in the polymer community, I don't write books, or teach classes. Mostly because I am to busy "producing" in order to feed my family. I just go along, doing my thing, and running off to the quilt shows. But a company I have dealt with for years SHOULD know this! I actually went to the computer and counted, just at the shows I did in 2007 I had about 4000 individual sales, and most of these were for more than one item. I think that counts as "production work"

And now when I think about it, I don't know if I am put off because of the attitude of the person on the phone. Or if I am just disappointed that they didn't know who I was! Maybe my ego is getting in my way. Maybe I am getting to much accustomed to the recognition I get at quilting venues. And it's going to my head!

Ok I got it off my chest!
Jenny p
http://www.quiltedinclay.com/

5 comments:

Jen said...

No, I don't think it's got to do with your ego at all...it's got to do with her ego assuming all no one would know what she was talking about. Which is unfortunate because that company doesn't have a good person representing them.

I don't know...personally I was THRILLED to meet you in person. Yes, I am a quilter so that part is a given but I came across your art because a friend of mine started making smaller polyclay items as a hobby. I learned about the process a little here and there. Since I talk quilting, she talks polyclay. I learned about caning, etc from her. This is why I'm SOOOOOO amazed at your pieces. To me they're total pieces of art because they've got to take a LOT of time and thought.

Anywho, that's a bit about one of your customers. =) Just know you're really loved and appreciated!!

Molly said...

I hate it when things like that happen, not just with crafty/art stuff, I hate assumptions all around.

I think that you should make a call, send a note to a higher up at the company and express your displeasure.

I read a book a few years ago by a couple who were starting a business and they got treated badly when they were just starting out...but years later when they were HUGE the same company came calling again, and they said oh heck fire no...we will NEVER do business with you because you weren't there for us in the begining. I love it, they stayed with the supplier who was. Stories like that are POWERFUL. Connections like that are POWERFUL.

Unfortunately, negative impressions {can} last longer than positive ones in a business environment.

Jenny Patterson said...

Hi Jen! and Molly! Thanks, I would complain to this person's boss, except that I was talking to the owner/boss already!

I had a much better experience today, from a much much larger company, with whom I have only done business with once before. And who has nothing to do with either quilting or Polymer clay! Except for the little bit of business for me that is. GRIN

Xolecito said...

I have spent hours just reading and learning from you, your work is beautiful and the fact that a person is not able to see beyond their nose is an everyday thing, I have lived that same problem sometimes at fabric stores where I live when I first began dressmaking, customer service sucked, but I went straight to the owner and had a little chat with him, problem solved, I think now they not only do they respect me but also fear me, they know I complain as soon as I see they are not doing their job right, and that's sometimes the only way to fix this, unfortunately I see more and more that customer service is going to the dumps, and I too stop consuming where I am not treated right, if they want your money they should have better service right? It's not an ego thing, is asking for what you deserve, respect,if you don't get it, move your business alsewhere if posible, don't let this get you down you are a wonderful artist !
Silvia

Unknown said...

You were completely correct in your feelings Jen! Been there-done that. I no longer purchase from one supplier because of bad treatment.

The supplier I transferred my business too is wonderful. They value my business (regardless if it's large or small) and I absolutely adore my rep.

Trust your instincts Jen..

Annie