Monday, March 3, 2008

What I learned from American Idol

I have to admit, that I never watch reality shows, I was just never interested. That is…..until this years American Idol. I was channel surfing and came across the first episode, and now I am hooked! I have watched all of them so far. However, in light of some of the discussions that have come about because of Synergy, I am looking at Idol differently. You know, what the judges tell the contestants can be interpreted for PC too! Or any kind of Art!

#1. Be consistent! This seems to be a theme, those that consistently perform well, move on!

#2. Be yourself, don’t try to be just like Carly Simon, sing Carly, but with your own twist. Do those projects you see in books, or learn in class, but just to learn technique, not to imitate!

#3. Don’t be complacent, just because you can sing already, doesn’t mean there isn’t more to learn. I love learning, I read all the time, what ever I can get my hands on! LOL I even read cookbooks like novels! You never know where something will click, and cause you to say “DUH”!

#4. Be a good sport; get along with your peers! Sharing ideas and techniques always sparks more.

#5. Listen to the judges, but don’t take what they say as criticism, but as good advice. Critique from someone you admire can help you become well rounded.

#6 Look at your performance as a complete picture, don’t just assume that because you can sing, you don’t have to look the part. Kathleen Dustin said in a recent interview; make a decision about every part of your piece, so it is a cohesive whole! WOW!

#7 Lastly HAVE FUN! AND LET IT SHOW!

Until Next time
Jenny P

http://www.quiltedinclay.com/

3 comments:

Julie said...

Excellent lessons to be learned!

I know it's fashionable to not like Simon because he's rather blunt when he gives his opinion - but I always think the contestants would do well to really listen to what he says, despite any bruised feelings.

And boy - when they get a compliment from Simon, they *know* they deserved it!

Michelle said...

I'd add one more: If your work is rejected (as in not chosen for a show), take it as an opportunity to go on and do something else even more fabulous!

Paula always says it, but I'm sure in the moment the singers don't believe it, but I do believe when a door closes, a window opens, and opportunity is right outside!

Jenny Patterson said...

Julie, you are so right! I happen to like Simon. He says what he thinks and doesn't sugar coat it!

Michelle, You are so right! If rejected use it as a point to look closely at what you are doing, and work to improve it!

Jenny P