Friday, February 29, 2008

Secondary Images

mckim rose

This is my most recent cane, a design based on the original designs of Ruby S Mckim. Ruby is one of the innovators in the Quilting world, in the 30’s she wrote patterns for the Kansas City star. I received permission from her family to reproduce some of her designs into jewelry.

This is a pieced rose, but if you look at it, there are bear paws, and in the center is an Ohio star. Isn't it great! I love when designs do this, include secondary images within them!

I have to say although, I like these colors, they seem to be flat, they don't "sing" as the colors in the last Celtic knot did. Because these canes are reduced into small sizes, I have to look carefully at the values of the colors I use; I want the designs to be seen even at a small size. However, I think I have been worrying to much about value, and not enough about the colors themselves. (Does that make sense?)

I have one more cane to do in the McKim series, which is my next project, it is a pieced pansy. I hope that I will do better color wise with it.

Cya
Jenny P

http://www.quiltedinclay.com/

3 comments:

Patty Barnes said...

Hi Jenny, if you don't have enough patterns already, 8-), I have two scrapbooks of paper patterns my grandmother cut from the Kansas City Star in the late twentys and early thirtys. I'd be happy to make copies of them and send them to you for the cost of postage.
Patty Barnes

Jenny Patterson said...

Oh kewl! I would love to browse them for ideas!

France said...

What, I can only imagine the amount of work that went into that.
It's so very pretty and it has the feel of fabric too in you colours.
Very very nice. Looking forward to seeing what you create with this - I found your blog via Polymer Clay People, just in case you're curious :)