Thursday, February 28, 2008

Voices?

Let's Talk!
moon fairy 013d

I am reading a lot these days about the Synergy conference and finding your "Voice.” I am not sure what they mean.

First of all the voice in my head is beating me up! I was going to go to this conference, but a mundane thing like needing work done on my bathroom took precedence. Now I feel like all my friends went to a party and I had to stay home. The voice is saying things like "you really did not need a toilet" and "FLOOR, what do you mean you wanted a FLOOR!" Therefore, I stayed home to make canes.

I did not have the opportunity to go to college to study art. I have a problem understanding abstract ideas, like making art that has a "voice.” I am just a simple farmer’s daughter, who has a need to create. I also need to feed my family! Now, do I have to worry about what my work is supposed to, "Say"? Goodness, if one of my quilt pins said something I think it would scare the bejesus out of the person wearing it!

Seriously, I don't know if my work has a "voice" or not, and I am not sure how I would give it that "voice" I just like to make canes, I get lost in the designing, choosing colors, the challenge of making a difficult pattern, and the Joy when it turns out just like the one in my head! Then I turn it into a form that I can sell, because as much as I would like to create just for the Joy of it, it is my job to keep my family fed. My work does fill a niche too; my customers are quilters, who have a passion of their own. They like my affordable jewelry, which represents their own passion.

I don't know HOW to give my work "voice"! I really do wish someone would explain it to me.

When I have time, I like to play with new ideas, try out new techniques I have learned, or heard about. I love to sculpt, but it takes so much time, that I seldom do it anymore. Maybe if I ever win the lottery and don't have to earn my way, I can take the time to work on the "voice" part. For now, I will just keep on doing what I am doing, because I don't know how to do anything else!

Besides, the wolf at the door really does like to eat!

Oh the bathroom??? Well the plumber ended up in the hospital with appendicitis, so the project is on hold until he recovers. Maybe I could have gone to Baltimore!

Until next time
Jenny P
http://www.quiltedinclay.com/

6 comments:

Kathi said...

I think there *is* a voice in your work Jenny. It's the voice that speaks to your customers, the one that have a passion about quilting, therefore they *hear* that passion in your quilted jewelry. I didn't go to Synergy either, am not sure what a *voice* means either, but I know your creations bring smiles and happiness to their new owners. To me, thats *your voice*

Molly said...

I am disgusted that I didn't go too! Maybe we can plan to do it next time...

Jenny Patterson said...

Kathi, Thanks, what you said sounds about right to me!

Molly, hopefully it will happen, and I will see you again!

Cindys Art + Soul said...

OMG! Jenny, I swear this is exactly how I feel. I just like to create beautiful things without worrying about what it's saying. I too love to sculpt but have been unable to devote time to it in more than a year. I just wanted to say, I completely understand what you wrote! And your work is an inspiration! Thank you so much for sharing this! I don't feel so alone now! :)

Cindy

Kay said...

Jenny, I think your passion is your voice. Same thing, different words. Your work is beautiful, fulfills a need within you and makes others happy. That's a pretty great combination.

Kay

JuLi said...

just do what you love and follow your inner voice, that will show as the voice of your work :)
and i think that is exactly what you are already doing, and it shows ;)