Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Kato test

It's a challenge these days to make canes, with all the changes the clay manufacturers are making. Fimo Classic, which the clay I have used 98% of the time, over the last almost 16 years. Is coming to me sooo soft! It's hard to believe I can make canes with it. So far it's worked, but I have been adding old firm clay from my stash into the new soft stuff. And I think so far there is some evidence that the new formula does firm up with age, but not as much as it used to.

SO it was time to investigate Kato clay, I have avoided it to this point for various reasons.

1. Time it precious, I know how Fimo Classic works, and learning a new clay takes time.

2. I make large canes, some of which I will put into my inventory and keep for more than 2 or 3 years. I didn't think Kato had the storage history. I wasn't sure if I could put a Kato cane into my inventory, and come back to it in a couple years. And have it still be workable. I recently had a conversation with Jana B (can't think of her last name) and while in Houston FimoBob brought me some examples of old Kato canes. Both of these sources convinced me it was time to test Kato clay.

I have to say I am pleased! I did 2 canes, This one is done.
The other is still waiting to be finished. I am purposely letting it sit. I want to see how it handles after a couple of weeks.

I will get this picture cleaned up and add it to the web site soon.

It will be a while before I make a total switch to Kato clay, as I have over 100 pounds of Fimo Classic in my stash. But I do think I will start the process, slowly.

Jenny P
http://www.quiltedinclay.com/

1 comment:

Trina said...

I started using Kato when it first came out and really like it. I had some cracking at first when the canes would sit. Now I do the accordian thing to rewarm the cane before reducing. I have to admit I'm a Polyglop and mix the clays at will but then I don't do the number of canes that you do.