Thursday, December 27, 2007

Room to Read Challenge

I was watching Oprah this afternoon, while assembling some lentil beads. And was moved by the story of John Wood, who gave up a million dollar job at Microsoft, to build libraries in developing countries.

Books have always been a large part of my life, of my whole household in fact. I always encouraged my girls to read. In fact it didn't take them long to realize that if they were reading, I was not as likely to interrupt them to do chores, as I was if they were watching television!

SO I challenge everyone who reads this blog, to give up the cost of a meal at McDonald's ($5) and donate. $1 equals 1 book to a library where the children might never see a book other wise. I have already made my donation of $50, I certainly can afford that!

Here is the link:
https://www.roomtoread.org/involvement/donate/book_drive.php


Jenny P

http://www.quiltedinclay.com/

2 comments:

Kathi said...

*shudder* McDonalds? ewwwwwww. Mom raised us as readers too. this is a great thing Jenny. I am off to that site :)

Jenny Patterson said...

Thanks Kathi! I don't do McDonalds either. But I know most people do.
I love the idea of sending books to kids. Especially kids who would not have them otherwise.