Sunday, January 13, 2008

California Here I come!

After 2 weeks of panic mode, getting inventory ready, we are finally on the road.

It seems that every time I tell some one, YES we drive to all our shows, and YES it is 2350 miles one way to Ontario. I hear, "oh my! I could not do that"

I love the drive! It's like a vacation, and I see parts of this wonderful country I would never see otherwise. After frantically working to get ready, we left on Saturday morning about 7am. I had worked getting packed up until 4am. So the DH drove, this is our standard routine. I can never sleep the night before we leave anyway. So it has become my habit to stay up most of the night.

I have no problem sleeping while the DH drives, in fact I slept through 1/3 of northern Minnesota, the bottom 1/3 of North Dakota, most of South Dakota, all of Iowa, and into Nebraska! We went 750 miles on Saturday and I slept for at least 500 of them. Then had a good nights sleep at the hotel! When not sleeping or driving, I can read, listen to music, or a book on tape, or just day dream! There aren't any pins to make, canes to finish, or even phones to answer.

Today we went another 750 miles, and right now are in Santa Fe New Mexico. This place is one of the reasons I like driving. We drive 2 long days just so we can take our time the rest of the way. I love Northwestern New Mexico. I don't know if it is the mountains, the clean crisp air, the smell of pinon pine or the people. But this part of the country is one of the few places I have come across that sings to my spirit.

When you think on it, mountains here are a good example of the celtic betwixt and between. They are both old and young, old in terms of our human lives, but young in terms of the age of mountains.

We arrived tonight, found our hotel, and then went for supper at a little Mexican place we love called "Maria's" About 4 or 5 years ago, on our way through, we asked a gal at the gas station to recommend her favorite local restaurant. The place she pointed to was "Maria's" and we have stopped at least once each year since.

Tomorrow we will drive slowly, and stop when we get the urge. Maybe first thing in the morning we will go to old town Santa Fe for breakfast. Maybe later visit a pueblo, or a ruin, maybe just find an out of the way restaurant for lunch. Or stop and just sit, or take a hike somewhere. If we only get 300 miles tomorrow, that's fine. We don't need to be in Ontario until late Tuesday nite! We allowed ourselves an extra day in case of bad weather. The weather has been good, so we can Play!

CYA
Jen

http://www.quiltedinclay.com/

2 comments:

Kathi said...

safe drive the rest of the way Jenny! I am off to see when the show in Ontario is. I might be able to make it down there.

Unknown said...

Hey Mom, hope you guys have a great show. Your drive to work is so much more fun than mine is :)