Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Paperwork!

So I did actually make it to town yesterday. I made the DH come with, finished up the shopping I needed to do. And the monster (turkey) is thawing in the frig! I ended up with a 20 pound turkey! Mainly because I was distracted when the DH put it in the cart, I knew there was going to be 19 of us on T-day. And when he asked how big I need the turkey I was thinking 1 pound per person, no 1/2 pound! I guess we will have LOTS of leftovers!

I have decided that this household generates at least a foot of mail a week. There is this pile on my desk that is at least 2feet high, then there is another stack next to it that is another foot tall. Both piles keep getting moved from the desk top to the work table and back again. As I need the surface to work on. Both are just waiting for me to deal with them, and the fact is I HAVE dealt with them and shortened the pile, since I got home. But it seems to keep growing, and the mailman is due to come again today.

Do I really NEED to get all these magazines and newsletters? I never seem to have time to actually read them, they pile up on the desk, then get put on the shelf, and a year or two or three later I dispose of them. Maybe it's time to re-think what is important to me.

Then there is the other aspect of the pile, bills, show applications, requests for donations (yes I get at least 3 or 4 of them a week) And somewhere in the latest pile, I think there is a check from one of the consignment shops I sell in.

And lets not forget TAXES! Sales tax to be specific, I do shows in many different states. Each state has it's own tax laws, some states I pay the sales tax right there at the end of the show. Some states I have to apply for a temporary permit in advance, then pay the tax with in 30 days after the show. Some states I have to file quarterly, and some I file yearly. Keeping them all sorted as to which is which and remembering to pay on time is a pain! Then there is the state in which I have not sold anything for at least 3 years, that keeps on insisting I pay sales taxes on sales I never made! And they can't seem to get the records straight. So they keep sending me mail!

On my things to do list today, see if I can lower the piles a little bit. Get the shredder working and shred that which I do not need. Put the magazines on the shelf, file the reciepts into permanent storage. Look for that check that I know in buried in there somewhere. And maybe, just maybe if I actually can find my work table, I will actually TOUCH some clay!

Ahh the wonders of owning your own business, I only have to work 1/2 days! And I get to choose which 1/2, the first 12 hours or the second 12! LOL

Jenny P

No comments: