Thursday, November 29, 2007

Getting organized

I have been working on getting organized. Well a little bit organized anyway. I have this stack of drawers from a contact lens company that a friend gave me. It's full of beads. I also have a number of boxes, and some Plano tackle boxes, full of beads, jewelry findings and more!
Actually I think they are Plano, I usually buy the less expensive ones at Cabela's.

All these different storage units are a pain!

When I go to shows I like to take a number of my supplies with. SO I can do repairs, assemble custom things and such. What I have always done, it take my Plano tackle boxes, my Rubbermaid shoe boxes and what ever, pack them into a Rubbermaid tote, (a big one). The while at the show, this tote is under my table, with everything inside it. And whatever I want to use next is always on the bottom!

While browsing through the Rio Grande catalog the other day, I came across a new toy! It is basically a hard sided suitcase on wheels. But perfect for organizing all my stuff.


My Plano tackle boxes fit in tipped on their sides, 4 across. Plus I have some of those Jewelers trays, which will hold beads and such. The only problem is that all the containers on top are sitting on the lower ones, so if I want something from the bottom I have to take everything out. I think I can solve that though.

My DH is a carpenter! I think I will have him add some rails just above the spot where the 4 tackle boxes fit on the bottom row. Then the black jewelers tray will sit on the rails, not on the tackle boxes. If we bolt them on, and have the bolt heads on the outside, it should still look nice too! I might even go for 2 sets of rails! One placed just below where the upper row of tackle boxes fit.


Now when I travel to shows, I can roll this in, (instead of carrying the big tote) set it under my table. (yes it fits!) And I won't have to get on my knees to dig to the bottom of the tote anymore! Very unprofessional looking!

And it's all organized while at home! Now I just need to find a way to organize the other tackle boxes full of clay, tools, canes .............................

That's for another day!
Jenny P
http://www.quiltedinclay.com/

2 comments:

Charlene "Cat" Therien said...

OOO. Loove the case! That's an awesome idea. It gives me thought about how I'm using my Tutto. HMMMM.

Getting organized helps, especially when your studio is part of the house and you really don't have room to put things in the right place. We have ditto on the sun porch (and the garage), where our show stuff is spread all over. We'd talked about doing a shed in the yard, but then it's hard to get into when it snows and its freaking cold to go out there for something you know is that the bottom of the stack of totes.

Hope we both can come up with good solutions short of challenging the zoning laws, huh?

Jenny Patterson said...

Thanks Cat! I looked at the tutto cases, many times. And they were quite right for what I wanted. So far I love this one.

One of the benefits of living in the country. I don't have zoning laws to contend with!!